- Pin A Vintage Red And Green Reversely Coloured Brooch To Your Lapel
- Two Rock Crystal Brooches With Diamonds And Gems
- Pomellato 50 Year Anniversary Celebrated With Hardstone Jewelry
- Fancy A Chanel Ring? Here Is A Pearl And Gold Version For You
- Delightful Edwardian Period Aquamarine And Diamond Jewels
Spinel was recently added as an August birthstone, sharing this month with peridot and sardonyx.
These beautiful stones, ranging in colour from bright sapphire blue, through violet and thence to raspberry and red/red have masqueraded, chameleon-like, as other types of gems, awaiting discovery of their own beauty and identity.
Red spinel is colored by chromium, the same trace element that colors ruby and emerald.
The spinel featured in the ring below is a lovely pinkish red 1.5 ct stone set with 22-24ct gold prongs in a cluster of old mine-cut diamonds on an 18 ct yellow gold band.
On the next page – rubellite, with a fabulous video showing its journey from mine to cutter.